Thursday, August 09, 2007

Secondday

My second day back at work was a lot less hectic than my first.

It got off to a better start. I slept fitfully, again, and woke up many times throughout the night, but I got up on the first alarm at 3:00. The weather was clear and dry for the ride in to work, and I had a waning crescent Moon (about four days from New) to light my way.

Work was good. Busy, but not as nuts as yesterday. I also had my bearings, literally, as I was now able to figure out just where in the plant I was, how it connected to the rest of the facility, and how I could navigate to places I was familiar with from my previous life.

I visited my old department for lunch. That was a little weird. I felt something like a ghost.

I think my old boss tried to visit me today. I was running some tests about thirty feet from the presses that I'm learning on, and as I was heading back to file the results I saw him walking away. The press floor is a noisy place, but I suppose he might have heard me if I yelled.

Our CEO came to visit me, too, to welcome me back. I have actually known him for about thirteen years. We had a little chat, mostly just call-and-response stuff.

I was going to try to describe this job today, but I'll save that for later. I'm spiraling in rapidly right now. I'll also explain later the pervasiveness of the "Firstday / Secondday / Thirdday" way of thinking, and how I got tripped up by it yesterday. But right now I have to get my lunch ready for tomorrow.

3 comments:

Dx said...

I thought you were a really hard worker until you mentioned something about preparing lunch. What's lunch all about?

Anonymous said...

Harold, when you walked into my studio yesterday I could tell you felt uncomfortable. Sitting in the same place you did hours and hours before, yet, I think now you feel like an outsider.
I am sorry for that. Remember, you are always welcome. I was more than happy to see you!
:) P.S. You looked darn good for someone who is now standing 12 hours a day!

Deb said...

Must feel kind of weird...but you'll get rid of that awkward feeling once the second week hits and everyone has gone up to you saying their hellos again.

Best of luck! Sounds exciting..!