Thursday, August 16, 2007

A new low in "Nigerian" scams

This isn't really new. I've found references to identical scams with different names in them. The linked BBC article is real, but the offer in the letter is a scam, just a variation on the Nigerian e-mail scam.

Nobody is waiting for you to help them smuggle money out of a foreign country in exchange for a cut. Everybody should know this by now, but people still fall for it. In the best case, they just lose a lot of money. In the worst cases, people have died.

From: Lt. Stephen Moralis (capt.sam@britisharmy.co.uk)
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:38:32 AM
Reply-to: stephen.molaris@yahoo.ca
To:

Before you read this letter I implore you to confirm from the BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm

Dear Sir/Ma'm,

My name is Lt. Stephen Moralis serving in the US 35th Infantry Division in Iraq . I and my superior after going on a rampage on Saddam Hussein's palace in Baghdad discovered a large container where various denominations of currency worth millions are hidden.

You can enter the below website to confirm more of our discovery which was made known to the british government, but this particular one is a top secret:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm

We have successfully moved this container to a secure place with the assistance of an English civillian (Who is assisting us with the negotiation for onward delivery to America); the total is $25,000,000.00 (Twenty-five million US dollars). Basically since we are still in active service, we cannot keep this fund in our bank accounts and there is no convenient way for us to handle the transportation out of Iraq without alerting any suspense since all our activities are monitored by the central command here in Baghdad. It is at this juncture that I was mandated by my superior to look for a reliable and trustworthy person who could assist us to receive the funds on our behalf for keeps and possibly investments in the United State pending on our final withdrawer from Iraq, hence my contacting you.

There is no risk involved whatsoever. If you are interested, I will send you my identity and the full details of claim. My duty is to find a good partner that we can trust and that will assist us secure the fund. Can I trust you? To ensure confidentiality, when you receive this letter, kindly reply me via e-mail signifying your interest including your contact details for identification.
I await your timely response via e-mail

Please, I will also appeal to you in the name of God to keep this a top secret for the benefit of both of us. If you know you will not be able to keep it that way please do not bother to respond. Not even your spouse, because I am still on duty serving my beloved country, America and do not want any chances. No matter who, I forbid you please.

Respectfully Yours.

Lt. Stephen Moralis

3 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

Nothing humans beings do surprises me. Shocks me yes, surprises me no.

Super G said...

I think I got this one too OR almost an exact variant of it not that long ago.

Anonymous said...

Lt. Moralis appears to be lacking moralis.