Saturday, June 02, 2007

My day so far

I woke up this morning and decided to pick fresh strawberries for breakfast. I had noticed a bumper crop in my garden the other evening, but I knew that berries are best when picked in the morning. I stepped outside just a little after 8:00 in the morning and saw that the temperature was nearly 90 degrees.

My plan for the day was to have breakfast, check my e-mail, write a blog entry, and then run over to the other house to mow the lawn before the storms blow through this afternoon. Realizing that the temperature might rise above this computer's maximum happy temperature of 80 degrees fairly quickly, I jumped right into the e-mails. I was in the middle of writing a response to one when...

The police scanner went off, announcing a fire call to a house two doors down from mine. That could be bad. The houses there are very close together. Less than ten feet separate my house and my neighbor's house, and the house next to him - the one where the fire trucks were going - is even closer than that. A fire could easily jump to his house, and then to mine...

I quickly headed over, not sure what I would do. I was not quite there when I saw a fire truck driving away. It turned out it was an ambulance call, and the fire truck just went over as a matter of policy.

So, since I was over there anyway, I decided to mow my lawn. While mowing the lawn (and talking to the next-door neighbor on the other side) I noticed that my front porch could use a good mopping. After that, I made a few phone calls, and then headed back here to finish my e-mail, two hours after I started. When I hit "Send", I didn't get a copy sent to my "Sent" folder - so either that option has become unchecked somehow, or this rather long letter never got sent.

Which brings us to here. The temperature is now 81.9 degree Fahrenheit in this room and climbing. I hope this post gets through. If it's this hot now, what will it be like in August?

1 comment:

whimsical brainpan said...

My BF works at NOAA. A climatologist there told him that the Eastern half of the US is in for one of the hottest summers on record.