Monday, June 07, 2004

Transit of Venus tomorrow (and I mean it this time!)

Venus will pass across the Sun's face for the first time in almost 122 years on Tuesday, June 8, which is tomorrow from when and where I am writing this. Rather than repeating what I said in my premature posting last Wednesday, I'll simply direct you to it for more information.

While I was totally embarrassed by my error regarding the date of this transit (which I initially listed as Thursday, June 3 instead of Tuesday, June 8) I am very pleased to have been proven wrong in another aspect of this post: there has been plenty of news coverage of this upcoming astronomical event, even with the wall-to-wall coverage of the death of President Ronald Reagan. It's been on CNN, network and local news, and has even made it to the front pages of the AOL and MSN sites.

If you get a chance, read up on how to view this SAFELY and see if you can get a peek. Even if you don't see it yourself (and, if tomorrow morning is anything like this morning, I doubt I will), you can still have a look online by going to some of the links of the previous post on this topic. (I was going to suggest you go to the Jack Horkheimer Venus Transit links page, but it doesn't seem to be working right now. Maybe it's crashed from too many people trying to use it!)

By the way, even though I do not share his opinion of the man, here is my friend Bill's posting on the passing of President Reagan.

No comments: