Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Beanball time

I no longer feel like my brain is caught in a taffy machine. Now I feel like a batter surrounded by eighteen pitchers at various distances, all throwing balls at random. Many of these balls are aimed at my head, and many of the ones that aren't are aimed at my groin. And I have no choice but to keep swinging.

I am leaving work every day with a feeling of not having accomplished anything, even though my friends point out that we are getting a lot of things done. I think there are two reasons for this: the number of projects in process on any given day vastly exceeds the number completed on that day, and we have gotten so fast and efficient at what we are doing that there's very little sense of accomplishment when we actually do complete a project.

Run, rabbit, run
Dig that hole, forget the sun
When at last the work is done
Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one


- Pink Floyd, Breathe

(I was gonna include a Pink Floyd link, but it made my browser crash...)

No comments: